Friday, October 05, 2007

More On Adoption - Part 1

I always wanted a big family. I don't just mean that I wanted one when I grew up. I mean that I wanted my parents to have a big family too. :) I wanted lots of brothers and sisters. Thankfully we lived in the same small town as all my aunts and uncles, cousins, and grandparents...so I did have a big family. We didn't just live in the same town...we did everything together. So, us and our cousins grew up kind of like brothers and sisters. It was great.

But, I still wanted a big family. I would call family meetings to try to convince Mama and Daddy to have more children. When I found out how the whole baby thing worked, my younger brother was still going back to my parents' room in the middle of the night to sleep the rest of the night out. I would get so mad at him, telling him, "if you need to sleep with somebody, you come sleep with me." I mean, he was ruining my chances of having more little brothers and sisters. :) SO funny.

Well, it just wasn't meant to be that there be more brothers and sisters...except for Tucker who was a definite surprise after I had "gotten over it." I was almost 18, a senior in high school; by brother, Jared, 14 and a freshman. When I was in the 6th grade though, we used to watch what was called "Wednesday's Child" every Wednesday night on the news before we went to church. "Wednesday's Child" featured a child (or more than one, usually siblings) that were in the area in need of adoption. Most of them had some kind of slight disability, but some didn't.

One Wednesday night there were 2 little girls on there...2 sisters. One was a year younger than me and her sister was a year younger than her. Their names were Briley and Shelicia. They were so cute and completely full of life. They mentioned that they just wanted a family that would take them to church. I was hooked.

I just knew that we were supposed to have those girls. I set about my duty (ha) to convince my parents that we were the family for them. Again, I would call family meetings. So funny. My parents would listen very respectfully, prayed about it, and even ended up calling about the girls after a while. Unfortunately for me (not for the girls) someone had already called about them and started the whole process. It was a couple who weren't able to have children of their own I believe. So, I was very happy for them all. Adoption was a part of my life after that though. I always knew after that that I wanted to adopt.

And the rest of the story is saved for tomorrow...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your heart for adoption! Its biblical! Fun to hear it's been a passion of yours even from a young age!

Stephanie said...

Are you going to be breaking some big adoption news in the near future? It seems like you are building towards something???

Michawn said...

No, no big adoption news right now. I just mentioned the adoption thing yesterday and thought I'd follow up with our history...how the whole adoption desire came to be in the first place. That's all. More tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Actually, we didn't usually get to see "Wednesday's Child" unless it was shown again at ten. That particular night we were going to the revival at Goldonna because Mrs. Whitney had invited us. So we left later and saw this adoption story. They were cute little girls. So I know it was meant for us to see it. I did call about them and the lady said, "I wish you had called sooner because we like to keep them as close to their natural home (Texas) as possible." They had been placed with a couple in Oklahoma who did not have any children. So God blessed this couple. He already knew about Tucker's coming.